Saturday, June 7, 2008

Blog #1

Wang Ping (poets writing in English as second language) interview

Let me start by saying I love the poem that Ping wrote. What a beautiful interpretation of second language learner’s emotions: almost a manifesto that they can declare their thoughts and emotions in whatever means necessary.

My experience in education has taught me that people often assume that people that struggle with English are of lesser intelligence. The unfortunate truth is that there are many people of high intelligence and education trapped within the confines of language acquisition. Even once the language is mastered, they are faced with the stigmas and prejudices an accent carries.

I love that Ping found freedom in writing poetry in English. I also appreciate that she had the chutzpah to stand up to a first language poet about her language difficulties. It’s like Ping felt comfortable expressing her feelings in her second language that were not acceptable in the restrictions of her first language.

When she talks about knowing the roots to English words but not even thinking about the roots of her native language, I’m reminded of the fact that a second language learner often knows the rules and origins of the language they are learning much better than someone that just picked up the language naturally. They also have a greater appreciation for the language after having studied it and work at it.

This challenges me to really consider the words and rules while writing rather than just arbitrarily writing whatever comes to mind. I usually just consider writing poetry as a spontaneous expression of emotions regarding a topic rather than something I toil over. If I am truly working on it, I’m working on what I want to express more than how I want to express it. I feel that Pink is also challenging us at the same to time not overly adorn our poem with what I call fluff. There is beauty in the simplicity.

2 comments:

Melinda Bobbitt said...

Some of the lovliest phrases come from the mouths of people who speak English as a second language. I think this is because they learn the leanguage for its definition. We often take it for granted and are unable to find the word we feel others would be drawn too. You say it so well when you say "This challenges me to really consider the words and rules while writing rather than just arbitrarily writing whatever comes to mind. I usually just consider writing poetry as a spontaneous expression of emotions regarding a topic rather than something I toil over"

Shotgun Spontaneity said...

As a teacher, I have found that many of my best writers are my students who have learned English as a secong language. Some of it has to do with the fact that they cherish what they have learned and put more effort into their writing. They take such pride in their work! You have definitely made me intersted in the Wang Ping interview. I will have to check it out. Thanks.